Down by the River

First off, Onestop Poetry deserves a huge shout out for a fantastic year in the blogisphere! These wonderful folks have done wonders for my writing, and I can imagine they have done the same for many others.  From their lessons on form, to introducing us all to some fantastic writers, photographers, painters, and artists from all ends of the spectrum, AND perhaps most of all, for their commitment to One Shot Wednesdays.  I may joke about my latest online addictions, but this one's for real! The thought of missing a One Shot Wednesday makes me almost stomach sick! (okay, so maybe I'm a bit of a drama queen!)  But seriously, these folks have forged an amazing online community dedicated to support of the arts, and they have filled it with fantastic and supportive appreciators and artists alike.  I am honored to be able to be a part of it, and I urge you to visit...if you haven't already!

Okay, back to business! This weeks Oneshot Wednesday offering...

Down by the River

I wrote down by the river
On a sunny afternoon
Hiding under the canopy
of an ancient oak tree.
No one could see me
Just below her banks
on a little ledge
that felt as thought it had been made
just for me.

The water was shallow
despite our heavy rains,
and smelled like the creek
where we spent our summers as children.
The sun danced
on the silver backs of the minnows
and a robin called to me
from across the mirror of water.

A typical work day
Suddenly turned to muse
With the random coin toss
At the road~off stop sign
where two dirt lanes intersected.
And in my search for inspiration
I came upon this river
As though she had been waiting for me.

Stewiacke River Park
Natasha Head Photo

Comments

Pat Hatt said…
There's a river park? Never knew that. Very nice pick and good choice for inspiration. Another fine job with the rhyming adding a great pace to it.
signed...bkm said…
Lovely - nature calls us especially in the heat of summer...I totally understand the missing of a One Shot Wednesday...it is my favorite place to post and always try to post my best (or at least I think are) poems there...it is an addiction of mine also...but feel it to be a good one....bkm
Laura said…
love the last section especially...I think it WAS waiting for you so you could announce the beauty of the moment through your words!
moondustwriter said…
An inspiration of sight, sound and words :)

Aww Tasha you are so sweet - we appreciate your support
Louise said…
Beautiful ~ I have many days down by the river..
Unknown said…
I suspect she had been waiting for you. If not you, another artist to give voice to this piece. I am glad it was you who set the idea free. Nicely done!
http://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/2011/06/28/the-g-spot
hedgewitch said…
That spot is always precious, where we feel nature has made room for us, taken us in. You make it all very real here, the comfort of it.
Unknown said…
wonderful. I really like how you brought us right into the creative process, led us by the hand. It was like I was there. Really enjoyed, thanks for sharing:)
Brian Miller said…
smiles. i have many a memory on the banks of a river...there is just something about nature you know...i still retreat there some days...
ayala said…
Lovely and the ending just sweet... I love that it was waiting for you .
Maude Lynn said…
Lovely! I could see the minnows.
Sheila said…
as though she had been waiting for me....

well, of course she was! Thanks for sharing such a journey with us - it is the simple, quiet ones that seem to have the most beauty.
Tulika Verma said…
absolutely beautiful!
Anonymous said…
This is a lovely, private moment you had communing with nature...everything here seems to be painted just for you...the bird crying to you from across the lake..the childhood memories...I could almost smell the air you breathed. A beautiful painting with words...
Unknown said…
Lovely to find such a natural delight in amongst everyday drudgery, thanks for sharing
Uneven Stephen said…
The imagery and storytelling in this poem is so strong and inspiring. I love the idea of something in nature being made for an individual, on a personal level. I really connect with the lines "on a little ledge / that felt as thought it had been made / just for me." Beautiful!
Percy Freeman said…
Finding the beauty in nature is amazing and so is this poem!
Lovely! Nature, she is a muse.
Beachanny said…
I long to know just where you are. Part of me thinks of Nova Scotia (as well as all of the UK, Paris, New York, Boston, and New Orleans) as my "other" home. Oh mustn't forget Aspen CO, and Mac Island Michigan as well. I have found special places "my place" in all of them. But Nova Scotia allows you to think you don't share it with anyone else. I believe you found your "own river" here. Beautiful!
Beachanny said…
Yes - I'll tell you -- just North of Meat Cove on the coast of Cape Breton looking out toward Newfoundland!
The Silver Fox said…
Yeah, it does look inspirational. And it was for you, obviously!
Anonymous said…
There's nothing like sitting by water and writing.
Unknown said…
Loved this weeks write Natasha, the immediate inspiration that comes when we make such a pure and simple connection. ~ Rose

Popular Posts