I Wonder

I often wonder how this world could be if people were to take the time to put others before themselves.
I do this often, to the point I find myself defending my actions.
"What did you do that for?"
They question, eyes wide...filled with sincere surprise.
I often wonder, how I am to respond to this.
Have you ever been made feel guilty for helping another?
"After all they did to you?"
Again, that tone of voice, that insinuates I'm the crazy one.

I often wonder how people can be so selfish. How easily they can ignore a good deed.
Seeking motive so that perhaps they can somehow justify not returning  the deed.
"Yeah...real nice...but what's she really after?"
I wonder if I answered with "clear conscious", would they understand then?
Forgiveness and compassion are essential for a community to thrive.
Empathy and understanding should be words in our everyday vocabulary.
I wonder if they've ever even made it to a grade school spelling test.

I often wonder how people manage to sleep at night.
Do they ever move beyond the thought and action to ponder consequences?
If they could reverse their thinking and perhaps consider consequences first,
I wonder if the world would be a better place?

Just me....just wondering...just doing what I do.

Comments

Brian Miller said…
i think we have a long way to go for this ever to be a possibility...we have bred people to be concerned with themselves....and it is only getting worse with the next generation...it would def take rewiring out systems on a large scale...and exposure outside of our comfort zone...right now people find a modicum of success that makes them comfortable...whether occupationally, socially...even in the writing and artistic world...and they then forget about others....oh they make token donation to make themselves feel a bit better but you can only fool yourself so much you know...it is the way we are....at least presently...which makes me feel rather pessimistic but call it like i see it...think i will go out and get some fresh air now...its a beautiful day
Gloria Baker said…
Natasha I always think Forgiveness and compassion are essential for all of us, to really live....
Love this:
"I wonder if the world would be a better place?"
I wonder too...
Brian Miller said…
just to clarify a bit...as i was thinking i was out and about today (good job getting me thinking)...we tend to insulate ourselves...for whatever reason...back when i ran in the corporate circles i made some jack and lived a very comfortable life and because of that did not spend as much time in the circles of interdependency...i was self sufficient...and in that did not give back as much as well...other than the token compassion...so thinking along personal lines...any way...just a few further thoughts....
Tashtoo said…
Brian! I'm am like totally flattered by the return visit...and so pleased with myself for getting you thinking. (woe is the ego!)
I had made a pretty clean break from this world I've been thrust back into...resulting in a terrible case of the heebee jeebies and wanting to go home and hide under the covers AGAIN to escape. If I hear "it's just business" one more time to justify unethical action or even worse, just plain cruelty and bullying...well, gosh...I don't know what I'll do. Pollyanna lives on! :)
t said…
If it were "just business" afterall, you'd think it wouldn't be too terribly hard for them to "just" do the ethical thing in the first, right?
Unknown said…
Tash, totally with you on this, have had thoughts like this myself before. Great write. Thanks

Popular Posts