Books & Buttons ~ #Poetics @dVersePoets

An ancient house looms
decorated in gold that needs undoing
carpeted kitchen
carpeted bath
pink sinks and basins
this is to be our home?

My eight year old mind
already teaming with ghosts
and stories from supposed friends
of the doctor who one time resided
and the patients who never made it out alive

I keep my cool
but am terrified.

There are lots of folks around
shuffling boxes
men sipping on beer
telling me to stay out of their way

There is wall paper to pick
paint colors to choose
and for the first time ever
I have the say
as long as its pink
and only pink

The bustle, the hustle
near drives me mad
knowing this is where we will be
forever and a day
in my eight year old mind

I clutch my book
building the nerve
to open the one door I've yet to dare

That was his office
...the whispers of those supposed friends
That was where he wrote DEATH certificates
...whispers of the adults who refuse to grow up
and get their kicks out of scaring the crap out of
chubby little eight year old girls.

Stubborn even then
I remember the clammy cool
of the cut glass knob
the squeak
of the solid wood...real wood,
door swinging on its ancient hinges
and the light of the sun
shining upon a cherry wood bookshelf
overflowing with treasure upon treasure
and the smell
books, books, books,
and mason jar upon mason jar of buttons!

It was hours before they found me
hours of building cities
towers, WORLDS
hours of page after page
of mildewed stories
and ancient colored pictures
of the human anatomy
and tales of war

I feel asleep among books and buttons
and spent the first night
in the old doc's house
as nothing more than a ghost
...until they found me.

Brian Miller has been battered by storms, lost his power, suffering temperatures of 103 and still manages to get to the pub with a Button prompt for Poetics? That's what I call dedication...and it's a prompt worth visiting....

Comments

What a great tale and fun read. This is my fav stanza...

Stubborn even then
I remember the clammy cool
of the cut glass knob
the squeak
of the solid wood...real wood,
door swinging on its ancient hinges
and the light of the sun
shining upon a cherry wood bookshelf
overflowing with treasure upon treasure
and the smell
books, books, books,
and mason jar upon mason jar of buttons!
Mary said…
Well, I would say this house would make the imagination of an eight-year-old girl run a bit wild. Especially an imaginative one, such as you were. I am sure there were lots of 'ghosts' in that home....
Daydreamertoo said…
Oh, I would love to fall asleep in that room surrounded by BOOKS! LOL
Not the ghosts or the mildew mind you :)
Lovely write.
Claudia said…
oh wow..what a place to fall asleep and dream and play and just be...lovely tash..i would've joined you any time..
And piles of old Reader's Digests...and bits of fabric and the smell of past time pastimes.
Waking wide-eyed wondering where you were for a minute.
Did you get some of those buttons as a keepsake?
Brian Miller said…
nice...you really brought this place alive...added some nice tension...death certificates....hmm...smiles...i def would have found this place fascinating then and now...and i love books so i would have certainly got lost in the bookshelves...
Awesome write, Tash! So real! I know the feeling, too! When I was nine, we moved into this old house, and I found a pair of cowboy boots in the garage. Of course, I put them on--several sizes too big, and something wiggling in the toe of one of them. I took it off and dumped the wriggler out; it was a big scorpion! Luckily, it was unable to sting my toes!
sjb said…
So specific, so real. I can feel the clammy coolness. Triggered memories of my great grandmother's house. Thank you.
Anonymous said…
Mildewed stories in an old house, a great tale Tash.
Anonymous said…
How wonderful to fall asleep between books and buttons - lovely read
Anonymous said…
i really like this tale, especially how the old Ghosts connect to the death certificates. really, the end could read that the narrator died at the end and was found among the other ghosts. that is, that could be an alternate ending.

3 radio button senryu
hedgewitch said…
You brought that room to life, Natasha--and it sounds wonderful. So often the sadistic tales of terror turn out to be tales of bull..stuff. Loved it.
Sherry Blue Sky said…
I so loved this, Natasha. Could see the eight year old perfectly.......amusing herself with books and buttons..........
Anna Montgomery said…
Your imagery is superb, really put me there and I too would have loved to have curled up amidst the books.
DQPoetry said…
A really fun read Natasha! Enjoyed the journey into childhood and how your in adventurousness you first discovered their were no ghosts then became one in your fun!
Chris Lawrence said…
Beautiful in all it's glory so textured i felt it
t said…
That was wonderful, and (as always) wonderfully written - thank you so much for tkaing me there!
aka_andrea said…
Love this tale, especially "I feel asleep among books and buttons" I can see that little girl in a big old house as clear as day. By the way, thank you for your comment. I couldn't think of a better group of people to have rooting for me!
Chris Wood said…
Tash, I Don't Want to Grow Up! ~ love, love this....you took me along for a wonderful ride!
JiRa said…
This was a lot of fun! Glad I happened by again... I often lose track of everyone's writing!
Maude Lynn said…
What an awesome story!
Anonymous said…
I have a very similar story to this, getting lost amongst books is my favourite past time! Haunting Tash, there's nothing like a book x
Hot Rod Pics said…
Fears forgotten for a great find, wonderful job, you pull the reader right into that escaped world with you.

Popular Posts