A Broader View ~ You CAN Make a Difference




The Art of Giving
(Inspired by A Broader View and their amazing volunteers)

So very much we take for granted
Rushing to the next big thing
Filling the hunger void
With cardboard and false sustenance
Abusing ourselves
For the sake of instant gratification
Ignoring the trickle down

We claim stress
Overworked, under paid
Never enough
Though Mother Earth has proven
We could all live and prosper
Together…

Yet we cower from the hands of the hoarders
Those who would rather see others
Go without
For the sake of agendas
That demand MORE
It is at their hands
That suffering is prevalent
Around the globe

Our circle is broken
Once knowing no end
It is now divided
By invisible lines
Dictated by wealth
By status

There are those who dare to cross the lines
Compelled by the need
The suffering
Hearts born to help
Hearts that know the value
In a child’s smile
Hearts that feel the pain
In a child’s empty stomach
This is the heart I desire.

Where there is sickness
They are a hand to hold

Where there is hunger
They are a safe meal

Where there is thirst
They are the path to the well

Where the view of the future weighs heavy
Decorated with fear and lack
They broaden the horizon
With the gift of hope

While we are left to feel ashamed
For our own perceived lack
They offer to us
A broader view

The proof that even ONE
Can make a difference.

The web never ceases to amaze me.  One of the most important ways it has, has been by returning to me, my faith in humanity.  That's a pretty big feat, and one of the most vital players in providing me the hope that the world might turn out okay is Oliver Ehlers.  A Broader View volunteers is an organization that came to life through the vision of Oliver and his wife, Sarah, after returning to the US from a vacation in Chile, South America, where they came face to face with the children in need, and the difference made by the volunteers working at an orphanage.  You can read more about them here.

Like everyone today, times are tough, and I am limited in the ways I am able to help.  I donate when I can, but it seems somehow hollow when I see the great lengths so many go to to help others in need.  Dedicating your vacation time to volunteer, I think, is awesome.  To know that I might be able to help provide housing and meals to those on the ground workers that are there making a difference, is huge! Perhaps, one day, I will be lucky enough to be one.  Until that time comes, I want YOU to know, that there are options other than all inclusive Cuban resorts for your vacation itinerary...At the present moment, a broader view has over 195 programs that need our support. That support can be as simple as sharing this post, liking their Facebook page, or telling a friend who is looking to do something different this year with their time off.

The success of their programs can be evidenced in the wonderful testimonies of the volunteers who have so selflessly given of their time to help others in need.  This is one story that speaks to my very heart, and I would love to have you take the time to visit with Emily and learn about her experience in Peru. Here is just a snippet of her story...

"My Favorite Memory: I spent a lot of time in the clinic working with the special needs children. There was one boy in the kindergarten class I helped with, who had both arms and legs amputated. We did a lot of art projects, and most of the time someone else would just do it for him. One day I noticed he had a watch on what was left of his left arm. The other children were coloring with crayons, but I searched and found some markers. I used the watch to hold the marker on his arm, and he was able to draw by himself, for what I believe was the first time. I had never seen him so happy. I gave him a hair binder to use with the markers so he will always be able to draw by himself"

This is all the proof I need to know it takes more than JUST money to change the world.  It take heart, it takes compassion, it takes courage and strength...and these are the attributes we need to support and share. Donate...your time, your dollars, your heart...and let's make a difference in the world.

One world, one love ~ Natasha

A Broader View (official website)

A Broader View (on Facebook)

Life Changing Stories (Volunteers share their experiences)

a broader view ~ Uganda
to donate via paypal
volunteers@abroaderview.org
subject line: Uganda


A Broader View ~ Kenya
.
A Broader View ~ Ghana
to donate via paypal
volunteers@abroaderview.org
subject line: Ghana


All images courtesy of A Broader View and their awesome volunteers! View full albums on FaceBook



Comments

Hot Rod Pics said…
To volunteer, working for results alone, is one of the most valuable experiences one can have. It will change your outlook on "work" forever, and break it's binding with "money." You will know the most important jobs you will ever have do not pay you in money.
Natasha Head.. friend of A Broader View wrote a very nice blog and donated a Poem about Abroaderview , you have a nice heart and thank you for the donation for one of our programs as well http://www.tashtoo.com/2012/06/broader-view-you-can-make-difference.html please leave a comment on her post and share with friends. Thank you again Natasha.
Brian Miller said…
nice...def love seeing organizations making a difference...and have done a few trips myself to build houses etc...i agree with steve as well in how it will change you surely...
Lance said…
gorgeous - sentiment, words, style, poet, and pictures
So true. An important thing to contemplate as we enter the new year. You'll be happy to know that the yearly tarot reading Charles and I do for the U.S. was positive...it was all about waking up.
And this is my fav part:
"We claim stress
Overworked, under paid
Never enough
Though Mother Earth has proven
We could all live and prosper
Together…"
Semaphore said…
When we look at all the problems in the world, it is easy to feel overwhelmed. The key is to pick a small piece of the problem, and help with that piece... and to realize that even that small piece makes a big difference to someone.
Sheila said…
I hadn't heard of this organization. You have done a lovely spotlight on them.

I am partial to World Vision. I;m excited to be sponsoring another child starting this month (it is what I asked my husband for for my birthday ) :)
Susie Clevenger said…
Natasha, thanks for sharing. Each of us can do something to change the world. Beautiful poem to inspire us to get off our butts, open our hearts and give!
Anonymous said…
Thanks. A fine poem and I appreciate the intro to A Broader View. Well done.

Popular Posts