Foot Tour

The last thing you gotta worry about round these parts
is being seen...
if it's after dark
Most folks close their curtains
long before the sun goes down

That's not to say
they don't get all up in your business
while the noon day sun
rides a marshmallow cloud
up against a grain silo

or while you stop for a bite
over at Jax Place
where they tell you it's haddock
yet the smell of cod hits you full on
the minute you step through the ancient swinging door.

Yeah...we've got our issues
but now that the diner's got it's liquor license
at least the legion's settled down.
Besides, when everything is locked up tight by 10...
save for the pizza shop,
well, that leaves you plenty of time
before the witching hour
to REALLY light up Main Street.

Remember what it was like
to be a kid at one of your Dad's baseball games?
Where the canteen sold boiled hot dogs
and you never worried about sunscreen...
oh yeah! Remember
the play ground had a merry-go-round where you could spin forever?
We got THAT!

Even a beat-up, seldom mowed, ballfield
becomes the big leagues
after dark.

Remember what it was like
to stand on the train tracks
over the river at high tide and wonder
when the next train would be rolling through
Exhilarated for NOT knowing? 
We could do that too...
The trains might not be rolling much anymore,
but man...I can tell you
that full moon would look amazing over the water.

So tell me...
you wanna take a walk?

We're at Meeting The Bar at dVersePoets where Victoria Slotto is asking us "Where in the World?" I'm hoping this piece will help you see a little bit of where I'm at...with some artistic liberty being taken of course ;) Victoria is also making a special announcement as well! You can join in too.

Comments

Brian Miller said…
hey i am in for the walk...smiles...spent a bit of time on the train tracks...and a few grain silos in my day too...ha, on the haddock, cod...smiles...sounds like a neat little town....and everything is better after dark you know...smiles...

esp the book i got in the mail today...starting it tonight...
Susan said…
I love the tone of the tour guide here, neat denizen of the edge of town. I thought I was walking with the guide until the last line! But-- I was-- so, now do I want to walk down the tracks and see the moon over the water as I might remember in that long ago rendezvous? Of course! Enchanting.
Victoria said…
I just love the voice in this, the whole sense of place...to be honest, I'd like to move there in a heartbeat, but if it's up close to you I don't know how the cold would work. This is so well-written...a perfect response to the prompt
Took me back to those days, Tash! Man, did you take me back. So vivid and real, I heard a train whistle in the distance and ran like hell!
Unknown said…
Now, this got the feel and the taste of summer days once again pumping thru my veins! It's been so long, but those memories of fairs and playgrounds and food that tasted like manna from heaven, still isin my heart as some of the best in my life. Thanks for bringing back to this addled mind such good times!
Anonymous said…
Yes! I do and want my boys to take those same walks too. Loved this!!
Glenn Buttkus said…
a lovely stroll through the small town somewhere in America, through the labyrinth of memories from everyone's small town, and the train trestle moment resonates strongly; all that was missing was the soda fountain in the dime store with the stainless steel tops and the sexy chrome mixers; this one really pushed the nostalgia button, and put us in a "place"; thanks.
Unknown said…
Great use of description here Tash. The setting comes to life for sure, but not just that, the social conventions of those living in this living setting also is painted in a life-giving light of it's own. Wonderful piece. Thanks
vivinfrance said…
A wonderful evocation of a remembered place. The voice in this poem is absolutely charming!I'd love to come for a walk there with you.
Chris Wood said…
Hey Tash, Wonderful walk with you today! ~ I don't think I have enough sense to get off those dang train tracks though or to put my bat and glove down when there are still folks waitin' around to see what's gonna happen next! Nice response to Victoria's prompt...
Mystic_Mom said…
This totally rocked! Loved this trip you took us on. Wow!
The Silver Fox said…
That was really fun. I felt like I really was with you... and that's always a great place to be. :)
Hot Rod Pics said…
Wow, you took me straight back to those days. I've been so hardened by the last decade, it was like a layer of dried mud capping off those old memories. Your poem scraped that off. So nice, so nice.
Another wonderful write. Enjoyed it.

Popular Posts