I Dream Too ~ #poetry by @Tashtoo

Thinking in poetic terms, I liken this time in my life to the butterfly...busting out of that cocoon
but rainbows and butterflies I am not
and to write about these times, in such a fashion
would only serve to perpetuate the myth
that this life I'm living is not my own.

I have fought very hard to make dreams come true
for everybody else.
Shouldering resentment, the burden grew heavy
I have whined and bitched, moaned and cried
but never admitted, that I was never actually asked to chase these dreams.

I chased them, out of my own sick and twisted need
to see a smile on somebody else's face, because my own fake grin
shouted impostor at me so loud from the bathroom mirror every morning
I thought the only way to shut it up was to sacrifice my own dreams
in service to others.

Somewhere, out of all this struggle that I have created for myself
I think...god willing...I have, in actuality, moved a little closer to courage,
to the understanding that it's okay to work for me
for my dreams.
Now...that I have my own permission
or rather, a notion of it being okay
I just have to figure out what those dreams are.

Comments

I relate to this looking to others rather than myself. An advantage of aging is the chance to shed this. You're braver- taking the courage to do it now. Brava.
Ellecee said…
It's hard to admit the resentment,,,I can identify with not wanting to have that feeling of "Where's mine?" Your poem expresses this feeling so well and the last line is perfect too,,,with all our complaining do we even know what our own dreams are? Love it,,,
Anonymous said…
Not to make light of your situation, but instead of a butterfly, might I propose Mothra?

She's pretty bad ass, just like you, and she always saves the world, even with those 2 weird chicks bugging her all the time.

Think about it, will you?

Popular Posts