Scar

I bid farewell to summer days
I say goodbye to wicked ways
I have resigned to trust my heart
To do what's right, sincere fresh start

Though it might not be just what I want
What might have been will always haunt
My sky is strange, my nights are worse
I'm not prepared to face this curse

Trouble bottled nice and neat
Ignored the lies and feigned belief
Benefit of endless doubt
Pushed away to go without

Tail between these weary legs
Walk away or face the shame
So much lost with nothing to show
The time has come to let it go.

No secrets in exchange for mine
Ignored, belittled, time after time
Excuses easy, I let them be
Each one stole a piece of me.

You'll never know the cost I paid
I never told, I simply stayed
Waiting, hoping, you'd finally see
What you thought game was sincerity.

Will you wonder what might have been
The chance now gone, never again
I see you now for what you are
Yet another ugly scar.

NH


Comments

Ben Ditty said…
And we see the soul of a poet,
Enduring endlessly against the world.
aka_andrea said…
resigned to accept less than what the heart desires?
or letting go and perhaps choosing a new perspective.
it's hard to make the heart understand that one and even the other is not settling, but perhaps choosing to live.
The Silver Fox said…
Glad to see you back on a regular basis!

Popular Posts